© bacuptimes.co.uk 2004
In June 1859, the volunteers had thier headquarters at the Commercial Inn
Stacksteads. Rumours were rife at this time of an invasion of England by France
and Tennyson's well known song "Riflemen form" aroused the military ardour of
men across the country including the Rossendale Valley. At this time there was no
lack of officers Major Munn joined on the 16th June and resigned December 1864.
Captain John Aitken of Ellor Bank, 16th June 1859. Ensign Edward Ashworth 16th
June 1859 Paymaster Henry Lord 16th June 1859 Resigned May 1863 Mr Lord
was the surgeon for Boothfold. Capt Sevetus Aitken 18th June 1859 Resigned 4th
August 1862. Surgeon Major Dr Whitaker 18th June 1859. Lieut Samuel Hall 18th
June 1859. Sergt John Aitken 18th June 1859 resigned Dec 1863. Sergt
J.A.Campbell Junre 1859 resigned May 1863 later dying in Sheffield. Corporal
Zebuluu Willis 16th June 1859 Resigned Oct 1861. Corporal Parkinson June 1859
Resigned March 1862, Corporal George H Robinson July 1859 Resigned October
1861, Corporal David Moorey June 1859 Resigned October 1861 later he was
killed at the Queens Hotel Bacup. The company stayed at the Commercial for a
good number of years until it moved to Rockliffe Mill, Bacup, later in 1896 they
moved to Sutcliffes Corn Mill in Yorkshire Street, Bacup.
In 1881 the name changed to 3rd LRV they in turn became the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, the East
Lancashire Regiment in 1890 and by 1908 the name had changed again to H Company the 5th
Battalion East Lancashire Regiment. In 1908, the volunteers were at last recognized by the regular
army. By 1913 the Drill Hall at Commercial Street Stacksteads had been built and a new name came
into being The Territorials.
One member of the 4th company of the 1st Battalion of the Lancashire Rifle Volunteers was a man
by the name of Henry Rogers. Henry was a Sergeant Instructor who served with the 49th foot
regiment throughout the Crimean War. He took part in the battles of Alma and Inkerman being
severely wounded in the latter. On the 2nd February 1855 his commanding officer recommended that
receive the DCM for his conduct in the field. Henry died on the 19th
December 1866 aged just 43 his gravestone of two crossed sabers in
Fairwall Cemetery was erected by the officers and men of the
Rossendale Company 2nd Volunteer Battalion East Lancashire
Regiment to perpetuate his memory.
In June 1901 after an absence of 16 months in South Africa the members of the active service company of
the 2nd V.B. East Lancashire Regiment returned to a warm welcome at Stacksteads Station. The returning
volunteers being Sgt Benson, Sgt Townsend, Lance Sgt Lonsdale, Corporal Day, Privates Walsh, Nicholas,
Young, Carmalt, Fielding and Law, Captain Hoyle in charge of the Volunteers. The company was engaged in
very little fighting for the most part the men were involved in guarding the lines of communication and
undertaking police and other civil duties in and around Johannesburg.