Today we have a fabulous ambulance emergency service but in our ancestors days
there was no such thing. During the later part of 1898 the Bacup Corps was formed first
aid classes having bee held since about 1886. Classes were held in various venues
including the Railway Station and the Co-operative hall however on the 10th February
1891 students were invited to attend a meeting the following
week at the Mechanics Institute. Following this meeting a
room was rented at Newgate Mission for the purpose of
holding drills. The Surgeon in charge was a Dr Harris and the
drill instructor was a Sgt W Cork. N Woodhouse One of the
originators of the Ambulance Brigade in Bacup he began
learning ambulance in 1888 during a class held by Dr Harris
in the Co-operative hall acquiring his certificate qualifying him
to render first aid in November 1888.With a increase in
members the rooms at Newgate became too small and so a
alternative room was found at Barkers Foundry which was
where the Royal Court Theatre is today.
After various other the Bacup Nursing Division was formed in
April 1898 and more suitable premises were found over the
offices of the School Board offices in Rochdale Road with Dr
Barclay as Surgeon in Charge. On the 27th July 1901 a
Trades and Societies Demonstration was held to raise money
to purchase a Horse Ambulance. In November a presentation
took place on the Market Ground at Bacup where Mr John
Harland Chief Constable formally presented the Ambulance
to the Borough. The total cost of the Ambulance and Harness
was £150.8s as well as containing two stretchers and
appliances the Ambulance had been constructed to be as lively and bright as it possibly
could be. Unlike the one pictured above of which a similar one had been in use in
Liverpool the sombre looking Ambulance had made people afraid to use it in case it took
the to the Cemetery rather the the Infirmary. During 1904 the horse ambulance was
called out 13 times whilst the hand litter was called out to 22 cases.A new Vulcan Motor
Ambulance was presented to the Borough and placed under the control of the police in
1917. Regulations were drawn up for the use of the ambulance.
People wishing to use the ambulance for cases that didn't follow a
accident had to obtain a form from the Chief Constable to fill in
along with a doctors certificate a reasonable time before the
ambulance was required. In the case of a accident application to
use the ambulance had to be made through the Police station
either in person or by calling the station by telephone at
no32.Stacksteads Ambulance station was opened on Commercial
Street, a new purpose built
ambulance station based in
what was the Territorial Drill Hall in April 1953.
During the Second World War part of the building
was used as a meat cold storage depot. The
station housed five ambulances and three utility
Many members of the St Johns
Ambulance went off to war in 1900 and
when the Great War began in 1914 and
sadly like many others lost thier life.
South African War 1900
Who died in Middleburgh Hospital, South
November, 17th 1901
Great War 1914-1918 , Sgt A. W.
Townsend , Pte. Robert Ashton , Pte.
Henry Chesteney , Pte. John Greenwood
Pte. David Hargreaves , Pte. John G.
Heyworth , Pte. James E. Mitchell , Pte.