Brass Bands & Bandstands Home Early Days Transport & Work Services Wartime Entertainment Memories & People Weather Links
Springs 1902.
Bacup and Stacksteads like many other working class towns of the North had thier own brass bands, Bacup Old Band had first began under the name of the Broadclough Band also known as The Invincibles. Broadclough Band and was founded about the year 1858 by John Stevenson otherwise known as Steenie, who was also afterwards up to his death a regular player with Bacup Old Band.  On the formation of the Rifle Volunteers in 1859 the Broadclough Band came out of obscurity and was henceforward known as the 4th .L.R.V Band.The band master of the Bacup Old Band was  John Lord, son of James Lord of Doals choirmaster of the Heald Wesleyan Chapel, another prominent member of the time was also called James Lord, it would have been imagined that the members would have had some difficulty knowing which Lord was which, except that they each had their own individual nicknames. The first James Lord mentioned above was known as Old Lordly and his son John Lord the conductor was known as Lordly. Johns brother James was known as Eawr Jim and Joseph as Joe Lord. The second  senior James mentioned was known as Old Jim Lord and his sons Richard was Dick Bouncer and James was Jim Bouncer. Whilst another James Lord was known as Jim Lord o'th' Tong. The band competed at places such as Liverpool, Blackpol, Matlock, and Belle Vue, to name just a few and out of a total of 48 contests entered Bacup Old Band won 33 First Prizes and once tied for First Prize. With only one failure to win a prize out of all 48 contests entered they had a very enviable record.  In 1864 whilst returning to Weir from a  concert at Belle Vue six men had a conversation about the possibility of forming their own band these me were Messrs Joseph Lord, A Mitchell, G Law, S Law, L Hey, and John Nuttall. Word was spread in the village that a meeting was to be held the following week with the intention of discussing the formation of a new  band for Bacup. The meeting held in Joseph Lord's house with no formalities it was looked upon as just being a " good ole fireside chat" and  was attended by 15 persons a great response for the men concerned. After talking matters through it was decided they would form a band and the following men consented to become it's first members.Messrs J Lord, A Mitchell, G Law, S Law, L Hey, John Nuttall, T Gornall, J Wilkinson, H Nuttall, T Haworth, H Rushton, A Croot, J Taylor, T Croot, W H Heap, R A Law, W Mitchell, S Shuttle, and P G Law. Each and member agreed to pay a sum  each week to the band for the purchase of instruments and agreed to repair their own instruments at their own cost should they ever become damaged.  The band held its first practice in a  house near Corner Dyeworks, when only three playing members put in an appearance, the bedroom being used for the purpose and the bedstead being utilised as a bandstand. The first bandmaster to be appointed was Mr G Law with Mr R A Law taking up the duty of secretary. At the end of the first month eight instruments had been received and  after three months the band consisted of thirteen playing members. The band appeared in public for the first time on Christmas Morning 1864 being led by Mr Samuel Law and  playing " Christians Awake" , " Last Wish " , " Duke Street " , " Old Sarah", "Old Warrington" and " Old Glory" the latter it seems being  quite a difficult piece for the band to play. By Whitsuntide of 1865 the band had nineteen playing members.Mr John Lord began to give the band professional tuition whilst the ex-manager of the Irwell Springs Dyeworks provided the band with a room at the Dyeworks for them to practise in, with music stands made by the carpenter of the Dyeworks Thomas Croot and Gas lighting fitted by the Blacksmith James Bentley, Thomas Haworth a Dyer and Engineman W H Heap. In 1866 the band secured its very first public engagement when Letter Of Appeal  "Respected Neighbours and Friends "We the members of the Irwell Springs Band, beg to appeal to you on behalf of ourselves to help us a little in subscribing towards the purchasing of two drums which we are yet in want of, as the instruments we have got has been all at our own expense, we can assure you it has been  very hard for us, being as you know all working men, but we were determined our little village should have something to enliven it. We think if we only wait upon you, you will do a little towards helping us in getting the same, which will cost upwards of £5. Hoping you will excuse. Yours Truly, THE BAND.The appeal for the drums was successful and even though the drums cost more than the estimated amount all the money was publicly subscribed. Still under the instruction of Mr John Lord of Bacup Band  Irwell Springs Band moved headquarters tot he Weir Hotel in 1869.1869 saw  changes to the band with Mr Joseph Lord departing for America followed by Mr W H Heap and Mr Peter Law. In May 1870 the band competed at Halifax playing the test piece "Arolda" under the conductorship of Mr John Lord for which they came 5th out of twenty bands competing.  A new band room was built in Captain Street Weir and opened in February 1875 followed in May by the first performance for Heald School in their first uniform of which cost £62.00 and was known as "Pill Boxes" due to the peculiar style of the caps and the way in which they were worn. Mr Edwin Swift conducted the band when  they made their first appearance at the Belle Vue Contest in 1893 the same year that saw the appointment of Mr Walter Nuttall as bandmaster following the resignation of Mr Ben Lord.  On Good Friday 1897 conducted by Mr  William Rimmer the band won a First Prize at Ardwick followed by a similar award at Rawtenstall with a Third at
Bacup Old Band. Bacup Old Band Springs in thier first uniforms. John Lord Bandmaster. Wright Mitchell
The present home of Stacksteads Band is situated in the old Tunstead Co-op.  The Band was formed in 1872 and at this time the band was known as the Stacksteads Amateur Brass Band. A year later in August 1873 the Bacup Times reported the “this young band is working hard to establish a name for itself in the musical world”. The band initially raised £50.00 to buy their instruments shortly after they disposed of these and bought new ones paying the total of £150.00 by installments. In order for a band to be known as a PRIZE band it had to win the same quickstep ( March) in consecutive years. Stacksteads band accomplished this when they won the Westhoughton Quickstep Contest three years in a row those years being 1907, 1908 and 1909. Following their win of 1909 they could then call themselves Stacksteads Prize Band. The band took part in competitions at Belle Vue and Crystal Palace. The first female to play in the band was Renee Amyes daughter of First Cornet player Kitchener Amyes.Stacksteads Band are the only local band to have celebrated their centenary and though the band members have changed over the years some traditions have not. One of these being to accompany the Britannia Coconutters on Easter Saturday..
Stacksteads Band accompanying the Tunstead Mill Nutters 1906. Irwell Springs 1902
Heywood and another First at Boothfold, Fifth at Littelborough.  Inspired by their progress the band once again entered the Belle Vue Competition returning home with the second prize of £12 and a Silver Medal and Coronet. Irwell Springs was considered one of the foremost . bands in the country by 1900 winning the Fifth prize at the Belle Vue contest a division of the Fifth and Fourth prizes at Southport, Third at Rochdale and Four Silver Medals for best set of bassesIn 1901 the band made their first appearance at the Crystal Palace Competition returning home with Second Prize and a twelve-guinea coronet only two marks having separated them from the Gem Studied trophy, even so the band won prize money in 1901 amounting to a grand total of £197.15s 6d.