Fairs & Parades Home The Giddy Meadow Health & Hygiene Trades & Professions Transport Wartime Leisure & Social Stacksteads Links Carnival Footage
When the fair came to town the land opposite the police station and the land at the back of the inside  market was all packed with stalls ands amusements. Down each side of the Market brew would be stalls  selling fruit, rock biscuits and ice-cream, coconuts and brandy snaps. Two or three stalls at the bottom of  Bankside Lane were occupied by toy sellers, selling wooden trucks and trains. Union Street was  home  to a tower like structure called the Helter Skelter, which you entered by a door at ground level, taking a  mat with you up to the top level. Behind the helter Skelter were more dolly stalls and coconut shies,  where the cry was " Three balls a penny". Children's roundabouts and Helms bicycles and hooplas which  if you were lucky you could win a watch. Numerous shows were sited on this part of the fair including  freak shows, lion shows and the inevitable boxing booths. The latter being run by Booths boxers who  nightly challenged all and sundry to stay with one or the other for two or three rounds. Many a local lad  took up the challenge and it was often said they were like lambs to the slaughter.   Sedgewicks Lion show was often situated at the entrance ot King Street or Irwell Street, with members of  the public being invited to enter the lions cage. Ten shillings being offered to anyone brave enough to do so. One man by the name of Tom  Lord, licensee of the Waterloo Hotel once accepted the challenge but pulled out at the last minute.Roundabouts with their steam pipe organs  spluttering out the best loved tunes of the days such as The Merry Widow, Oh, Oh, Antonio or Walking Out With Angeline or for a change some  stirring march or other. Gaily painted and gilded these organs usually had a mechanical figure in front of them and as the organ played the  figure would wave it's hands about as though conducting the orchestra. With three or four organs blaring out the hooting of the steamboats, the  firing range the shouts of the stallholders and hawkers mingled with the shrieks of the children as they whirled round and round on the hobby  horses the noise was like bedlam. Piebald horses gaily decorated and ridden by both men and women, small Shetland ponies prancing along  behind the huge cars colourfully decorated announcing to the world that the Circus had arrived in town. Elephants, Camels and other creatures   marched through the town making their way up to the top of  Lanehead, near the cricket field. One story is told of two baby Elephants who  along with their mothers were taking part in the circus about 1885. The mother Elephants were led along Lane head lane while the two babies  were held back. Children of all ages sat on the cricket field wall and cheered the baby elephants on as they were let go to run after their  mothers along Lane head.  
Fairground caravan crash on Bankside Lane
Bacup held a Peace Celebration on 19th July 1919 in  the grounds of Stubylee Park to celebrate the end of  the Great War. The celebrations consisted of two Public  Processions one from the Market Ground in Bacup the  other from the Recreation Ground in Stacksteads to  meet for a Divine Service at the park at 9.30am.The  procession from the Market Ground in Bacup included:  Irwell Springs band, Discharged and Demobilised  Sailors and Soldiers, Police and Fire Brigade,  Ambulance and Nursing Division, Boy Scouts and Girl  Guides, Day School Teachers, Corporation Officials.  Justices of the Peace, Members of the Town Council,  Mayor, Deputy Mayor and Town Clerk. To name but a  few.The route followed was:Bankside, Market Street,  Newchurch Road, Newline to the Band Enclosure at the  park entering by the Moorlands Gate.The Procession  from Stacksteads Recreation ground was as follows. Stacksteads Prize Band, Discharged and Demobilised  Sailors and Soldiers, Boy Scouts and Girl Guides,  Tradesmen's Associations ( Stacksteads), Political  Associations, Trades Unions, Workmen's Clubs,  Recreation Clubs. Again to name but a few.  The route  followed was:Farholme Lane, Newchurch Road, and  Newline. Further celebrations were held in the evening  from 6.30 to 9.0pm. Irwell Springs Band played a  selection of Music in the band stand Stacksteads prize   Band played music for dancing in the Church Meadow  at Stubylee. Bacup Change Band played music for  dancing in the Maden Recreation Ground.Bonfires were  lit on Greens Moor, Stacksteads and Deerplay Hill at  Midnight and at the same time on Greens Moor a  Firework display was held. A competition was held  to  find the best decorated premises in the town to  encourage the residents  to make the town look as  bright and cheerful as possible.  
On July 9th 1913 King George and Queen Mary visited Bacup accompanied by  Lord Derby of Knowsley  this was the first visit to the Rossendale valley by a  reigning monarch.  Shortly after noon the mills of Bacup were closed and  people began making  their way towards Sandfield, on Rochdale road which was to be the area of the  presentations of their majesties. All of the  local schools closed and each child  along with class teachers made their way to the stands on Sandfield. By 2  0'clock  there was a fairly large  group of spectators most of whom had  discarded their working clogs and shawls and donned their Sunday best for the  occasion.106 policemen had  to be drafted in from outlying areas such as  Manchester and owing to the fact that the train bringing them to Bacup was late  the local boys scouts troop had to lend a hand with crowd control. Irwell Springs  band played their part literally by entertaining the waiting crowds and then  played the national anthem as the King and Queen Arrived. Many of the local old  age pensioners had already been seated in Sandfield for a couple of hours by  the time the king and queen arrived at 4.45. It is said the average age of  the old  age pensioners was 76 the oldest being well over 90. The first old age pensioner  to arrive at Sandfield was a woman from Stacksteads who had walked all the way.   The King and Queen arrived in Bacup at 4.42 pm a few minutes before the scheduled time and after ascending the raised platform ere  introduced by Lord Derby to the local dignitaries. The Mayor and Mayoress Craven Hoyle, Alderman J H Maden J.P C.C. and Mrs  Maden, Mr Joseph Entwistle Town clerk and Mrs Entwistle, Mr James Shuttleworth J.P and Mrs Shuttleworth, Alderman Daniel  Greenwood and Mrs Greenwood and Alderman Hardman and Mrs Hardman. The little ceremony over the King engaged in  conversation with the Mayor whilst Queen Mary chatted freely with the Mayoress and was understood to remark upon the children  present which was over 3,000. The Mayoress of Bacup Mrs Craven Hoyle wore a  outfit of light blue silk relieved with touches of black,  her hat was of black tulle trimmed with a  mount of black feathers. Mrs J H Maden the Deputy Mayoress was in mourning for her  mother  and  wore a gown of black charmouse and pearl ornaments. The King then walked along the platform and inspected the old  age pensioners some of whom tried to rise in appreciation but were waved down to keep their seats by his majesty. After a stay of  exactly eight minutes their majesties  rejoined the motor car for their journey forward to Rochdale. Prior to leaving however his Worship  the Mayor called for there cheers for the King and Queen and also for the Prince of Wales.After the King and Queen had left the area  all the children on leaving where presented with a box of Bourneville chocolates. Later at the Cooperative hall the pensioners where  treated to a tea and supper by the mayor and mayoress.  Thursday 10th and Friday 11th July saw the Arts Cinema  (  now the Empire Theatre )  packed to bursting as  Bacupian saw reproduced on the screen the whole of the historic ceremony  of local residents being presented  to King George and Queen Mary. A cinematographer was especially engaged to film the whole incident. The  film  measured twelve hundred feet and ran for approximately 25 minutes. Featuring the assembling of  the school children and the arrival of the Territorial's from Burnley  under the control of Captain  Sutcliffe.   The boys brigade and the world famous Irwell Springs band led by bandmaster Walter Nuttall. The  old age pensioners and the public in general all are shown enjoying the visit of  the King and  Queen who are shown arriving along with Lord Derby who then introduces their majesty's to   the Mayor and Mayoress and Sir Henry and Lady Maden. The footage shows Sir Henry and  Lady Maden in the sunken garden of Rockliffe house and features locals returning home  through Rochdale road,  St James Street, Market Street.   
Royal Visit to Bacup 1913 Bacup Carnival float Peace celebrations 1919 Children garden party at Forest House Waterbarn fancy dress gala Peace Celebration 1919 Carnival Float