Junior   Schools Home Early Days Transport & Work Services Wartime Entertainment Memories & People Weather Links
In 1894 plans to build two buildings to be used as a school known as Central Board School were approved. The infants building would hold 550 mixed pupils whilst the junior building would hold 250 mixed pupils. The land cost £1.100, and the estimated cost of the building was £7.500. The infant school was built first opening on the 2 Sept 1895, with the junior school being opened on Saturday 19 September 1896 by J. H. Maden Esq. The total cost of the building was £12,000.  Unfortunately the day after the official opening the retaining wall collapsed, sending rubble bricks and dirt cascading down onto the houses of Camel Street and Quarry Street below. The Headmaster in 1902 was Mr Edward Ashorth and Infants Mistress Miss Annie Jane Lord The Mount School originated from Mount Pleasant Wesleyan church day school and came under control of the local education authority in 1902. Until 1829 there was neither school or chapel in the vicinity of  Heald and so anyone wishing to partake of public worship or learning had to go into Bacup. About this time a number of  young men anxious to improve their learning began to meet together assisting each other in obtaining the first elements of education. They had no religious object in view and were only concerned with improving their general education with regards to reading and writing. Their first meeting place was at the home of  William Clegg, of Old Clough. It occurred to these young men that it would be a better plan to open their school for all the children in the area. James Ashworth of Newkin End was the first to have any influence over the young men and influenced them to open the cottage which they used for a Sunday school. James Maden Esq of Greens, uncle to James Maden Holt Esq, M.P,  was the landlord and owner of Corner dye also  known as the Irwell Springs dye works, was approached and asked if they could use a cottage at corner, gaining his approval the cottage rooms soon became overcrowded. The school at corner continued to be conducted by churchmen, Baptists, and Methodists but sectarian animosities caused friction. Mr Maden showed a lively interest in his tenants welfare and in 1832 built and furnished a convenient school house offering it rent free for the benefit of the neighbourhood. By 1835 the school had fallen into the teaching hands of the Methodists, the number of teachers at this time being 48 and in addition to these twelve helpers came over from Bacup to help in the teaching. Among these were John and Edward Dawson, James Maden, and Henry Hoyle, all local preachers. Thomas Disley and John Howorth of Lane Head Lane. Following the death of Mr Maden, Miss Maden after the erection of the new Methodist chapel and school built in 1868 handed over the old  school to the trustees who sold it for £50.00 adding it to the trust funds for their new chapel. St Saviours school was founded in 1858  a two storey building, the church school classes were held in the lower rooms whilst chapel services held upstairs this was was the practice until 1865 when the church of St Saviours was built. In 1904 the school became a County Primary school under the control of the local education authority. The school was used as a Sunday school and for local area meetings. St Saviours was closed in 1982. Sharneyford Board School Built in 1878 for 200 children Headmaster Ernest J Taylor average attendance 90. In February 1906 John Henry Sanderson of Heightside, Sharneyford, aged 12 and half accomplished a remarkable  school attendance record, having missed school only once during seven years to attend his fathers funeral.  Henry was presented with a silver watch by the Bacup Education Committee The British school at Doals  and the Wesleyan School at Heald   were combined in 1893 and formed into Heald Council school. For 17 years the school worked well until the board of education decreed the school was no longer suitable. A the time of its opening  on August 1910  by Henry Maden J.P whilst Mr Smith Chairman of the Education Committee presided  Northern School was  said to be the best adapated school in Bacup. Two thousand square yards of land were purchased from the Lord Barn Estate and the first sod was cut in October 1908. The newspaper report of the time read “A feature of this school is the dinner room, which adjoins the caretakers kitchen, enabling pupils who travel a distance to have their meals which can be warmed for them if they want. The contractors for the masons and brick work were Messrs, Dryland and Preston of Littleborough. The remainder of the contractors were Bacup gentlemen and were as follows. Joiners Work Messrs H Cowgill and son, Plumbers work, Mr E J West, Slater's work Mr A Rushton, Plasterers. Mr J Noon painters work Mr W H Elsworth and heating Messrs, Robert Wood and son”. The  Britannia Wesleyan day school was opened on the 13th July 1873 the first headmaster being a Mr Tyfort who occupied the position for two years until he emigrated to Australia. On August 2nd 1875 Mr J N Hudson took over the running of the school and was in this position until 1886. The next headmaster was a Mr T Parkinson who remained until 19th February 1890 when unfortunately he died at the age of 27. Mr Hudson was reappointed on the 5th May 1890 and remained headmaster until 30th June 1916 at which point he was appointed headmaster of Western school. Western School was formerly opened on 19th Aril 1903 by Mr James Ashworth vice chairman of the Bacup school board with the infants department being taken over in the Easter. The mixed departments had been using the school for six months previous to it's opening. Western took the place of two former schools these being Waterbarn Baptist school and Stacksteads Wesleyan school. The headmaster of the Wesleyan school  Mr J.E.Horrocks, was appointed headmaster of Western school whilst his counterpart at Waterbarn Mr  R.H.Ormerod, became  handicraft master for the whole of the ,Bacup areas. In his opening speech Mr Ashworth pointed out that in 1892 the Bacup school board was responsible for one school, two teachers and 70 scholars. When Western came  into use in 1903, they had seven schools, 76 teachers and an average attendance of over 2,000 scholars. Situated on the corner of Newchurch Road and Baldwin Street this was the "Old Tunstead " school. The Headmaster being a Mr Moses Brown whom it would seem really didn't enjoy his job at all and suffered quite a lot of ill health.The "New Tunstead School " started being built in 1881 to accommodate 750 children  the school  was formerly opened on November 12th 1882 by Mr R.W. Munn of Heath Hill. The children walking in procession from the " Old School " to the new school. Mr Moses Brown continuing as Headmaster until June 1890 when he died. Following the death of Moses Brown Mr T.H. Ballance was appointed Headmaster of Tunstead in July 1890. Father Mulvany was  very concerned with education and concentrated all of his labours on building a school for the Catholic children. School had been undertaken in the rooms above Mr Pillings shop but in 1862 it was relocated to Wesley Place. Ten years later  the new St Mary's school was built adjacent to the church and opened in 1903.
Central School Quarry Street entrance. Woodworking class Mr Ashworth Headmasters. Heald Class1.. Western School. Western Tunsteads New School. Western  1956 Mr Ballance St Marys 1940's Sharneyford School Sharneyford class of 1902. John Henry Sanderson St .Saviours School Heald Class in 1904. St Saviours class in 1902. Northern School. Class of Northern. Class 1902. Thorn class of 1949. Mount Class 7 Mount Pleasant Juniors.