Other Work Home The Giddy Meadow Health & Hygiene Trades & Professions Transport Wartime Leisure Time Stacksteads Links
In 1899 John Rushtons and Sons  Slater's of Lee Mill won a slating  contract for a new tea facdtry in  New Cross London.  The firm had  their offices at the top of Rushton  Street, Lee Mill. Rushtons were  responsible for slating some very  large well known buildings of their  time. Such as, a contract in  Broadheath, Cheshire for the  Linotype Company Ltd. The slating  of the Pilkington Bros glass works  in St Helens in total the Rushtons  did work for the Pilkington Bros  spanning a  period of eight to ten  years. Over a period from 1879 to 1889  Rushtons and Sons carried out  various contracts all over the  country some of these included.  For the Lancashire and Yorkshire  Railway Company station  buildimgs at  Pendleton,  Pendlebury, Swinton, Darcy Lever  and Littleborough, goods  wharehouses at Kirkham,  Accrington, and Radcliffe, grain  wharehouses at Halifax,  enginesheds at Lowmoor. 75  cottages at Smedley Road  Manchester. Wharehouses and  loading sheds at Halifax for the  Great Northern Railway  Company.British Insulated Wire  Works at Prescott. Lancashire  Watch Compnays Works Prescott.   The Atlas Bobbin Works, Garston,  Liverpool for Wilson Bros Ltd. Holy  Trinity Mission House, Blackfriars,  Salford. St John the Baptist  Church, New Springs Wigan.  Cottage Homes, Middlewood, For  Rochdale Guardians. Buildings in  Heywood Park. Large addiditon to  Kays Hospital Summerseat.  Todmorden Parish Church. St  Pauls Church Macclesfield. River  Wyre Hotel Poulton along with  many others. 
Bacup had a number of Blacksmiths the  forges were more commonly known as "  Smithies" the one at Change Sharneyford  was run by the Lord family. Mr Richard  Lord began the smithy and ran it with his  son  John Robert Lord, who in turn ran it  with his son Herbert who died in 1944.  One of the oldest blacksmiths shop was  situated at Lee Mill built about 1842 the  smithy was run by the Graham family for  over four generations. The first blacksmith  being Mr James Graham who then passed  the business onto his son Mr John  Frederick Graham and then to his son  James Frederick Graham. In August 1942  the business was sold when the then  owner Fred Lord Graham was called up to  do work of " National Importance " The  Princess Street blacksmith run by the  Halsteads was put up for sale in 1881 due  to a lack of trade. Pictured above are right  to left Henry Culley, Fred Dunkling,Dick  Halstead  Mr James Taylor was a master  blacksmith who ran a business in Manor  Street Bacup for 45 years the business  closing at the time of his death in 1956.  
The Beeby brothers are pictured below  they were Reed and Heald makers who  had their factory off Tong Lane opposite the  streets of Brick and Clay street. A reed and  heald were both used in a loom for the  process of weaving. A reed was like a comb the teeth being secured at the top and  bottom. The heald is a series of threads  into which an eye has been 'knitted'. The  series of threads are held firm on wooden  staves. Each single thread of the heald has  an eye to separate the thread as it leaves  the back beam (warp beam).The warp  thread will go through healds on alternate  staves. The staves alternately move up and  down to form a 'shed' for the shuttle whilst  simultaneously making pattern in the  weave. A 'shed' (as the space is named)  allows the shuttle to cross through the  space formed between the reed and open  heald.Warp thread then passes through the  reed (usually made of metal) which keeps  the warp thread separate. The reed, with its  to and fro movement, 'beats' the weft  thread into place (like a comb) as it is  placed by the shuttle passing across the full  width of the loom. 
The home of the first Post office in Bacup  was situated at the bottom of Burnley Road   known at the time has Harris Printers. It  was then moved to Market Street. In 1905  there were four deliveries  per day by  postmen starting at 7.15 am, 1.30 pm, 4.30  pm and 6.30 pm. However there was no  6.30 delivery on any Tuesday. In  September 1910  the site was laid out for a  new Post Office which would stand on the  opposite side of the road to the original and  on a site where once stood the house of Dr  Snell and others. The first stone being laid  in October. The Post Office opened in  January 1911.
Ingham Taylor was one of many barbers in  the area who advertised his trade by the  traditional red and white stripped pole  displayed outside the shop. At one time  Barbers were also dentists and surgeons  performing enemas, bloodletting and  wound surgery. The history of the barber  pole is intertwined with the history of  barbers and their bloodletting practices.  Patients would grasp a rod so tightly that  their veins would show, at which point the  barber would cut open their arms and  bleed them until they fainted. After the  procedure, washed bandages were hung  outside on a pole to dry and to advertise  the ghastly therapeutic specialities offered  in the barbershop. Flapping in the wind,  the long strips of bandages would twist  around the pole in the spiral pattern we  now associate with barbers. The practice  of bloodletting had long since been  abandoned by barbers. 
Unfortunately there are no details  about thie group of servants shown  above other than they worked for a  Bacup family. There can be little  doubt the family they worked for  was one of the wealthiest in Bacup.  The likelihood is the lady in the  middle of the picture would have  been the housekeeper. She would  have been responsible for all the  female servants, hiring and firing of  them, the linen and china   cupboards, housekeeping money  and making arrangements for  guests. Also pictured it would seem  are the cook,  a ladies made and  nursemaid, housemaid and kitchen  maid along with the butler who  would in some households also act  as he male valet. The young man  pictured was probably the footman.
Small boys aged between 5 and 10  were often sought out to become  apprentices to chimney sweeps.  Quite often they were orphans and  had no one to care about the kind of  treatment they received at the hands  of unscrupulous employers. If the  young lad was scared to climb the  narrow high chimneys the sweep  would give him some encouragement  by holding a lighted taper under one  of his bare feet. One of the first known industrial  diseases was chimney sweeps  cancer which appeared in the  testicles and was caused by the effect of the soot on the naked body. The  agreement shown below was drawn  up between local chimney sweep  James Swain and his apprentice  Lawrence Slattery. Bacup's last full-  time chimney sweep Mr Roland  Hurrell was given 15 years notice to  quit in June 1972. This was the  amount of time it was thought it would  take to make Bacup a smoke free  zone.
Irwell Springs was known as the corner dye works.The effluent from their dyeing plant  coloured the river Irwell, black, blue, yellow  or whatever colour was being  used at the  time. The works was run by various owners over the years. John Seiber a swiss  national came into partnership with John  Greenwood  but following the deaths of  both partners the business was taken over  by Charles Seiber employing a workforce of  100 by 1865 trading as the Irwell Springs  Turkey Red Dyeing Company.  The works  were eventually closed until 1896 when it  was purchased by Archibald Edmeston & Company textile engineers.With Calico  printin being started again in 1898 trading  as Irwell Springs Printing Company. By  1913 there had been expansions to the  works and it now employed about 400  people. The company closed in 1964. 
Rockliffe Vale Corn Mill was situated just  across the track from Ross Mill. Originally  built as a calico printowrks in 1837.   The mill was taken over for cron milling in  1865. By 1870 the mill was being run by  Daniel Greenwood and partner. Parts of   the mill were leased to shuttle makers  Joseph Milner & Co. Various other  manufaturers rented the mill over the   years. In 1883 railway sidings were in place . In 1911 the building was destroyed  by fire and eventually by 1912-1913 the   remains had been demolished.  
The Bacup Prudential Team The  Company was founded on 30 May  1848 in Hatton Garden in London as  The Prudential Mutual Assurance  Investment and Loan Association  providing loans to professional and  working people.In 1854 the  Company began selling the relatively  new concept of industrial branch  insurance policies to the working  class population for premiums as  low as one penny through agents  acting as door to door salesmen.  The army of premium collection  agents was for many years identified with the Prudential as the "Man from  the Pru". 
Rushtons slaters putside Co-op at Weir. Clickers at Grove Mill. Princess Street Smithies. Post Office Workers 1905. Possible servants of Rockliffe House. Barber Ingham Taylor. Beeby Brothers Irwell Springsworkers. Corn Mill workers
Clickers at work at Grove mill  home of Samuel McLeries slipper works  the first of such to arrive in Bacup in 1898.  At the time of the move to Grove Mill  Samuel had been in the slipper industry for  20 years and  was in partnership with his  two elder sons, James and Jack but in  1900 they withdrew from the partnership  and began their own firm J&J Mc'Cleries at  New Hey Mills. 
Chimney Sweep standing on Market Street. Staff of Bacups Employment Exchange.
Bacup’s Emplyment Exchange was  situated next to the Lancashire and  Yorkshire Bank until the new building was  opened on Gladstone Street in 1930. 
Members of the Prudential, also known as the man from the pru. The Lamp Oil man at Broadclough.
Most houses were lit by candles or oil  lamps. The oil used was parrafin,  the  Lamp Oil Man named Smith pictured  above  would like the rag and bone man   go from house to house refilling the  householders lamps with the parrafin oil.