People & Characters Home The Giddy Meadow Health & Hygiene Trades & Professions Transport Wartime Leisure Time Stacksteads Links
Old George Lord  Opposite Bankside Lane once stood a  low lying house demolished at the  beginning of 1880.The house was  lived in by Old George Lord and his  wife. They were owners of some  dozen ponies otherwise known as "  Galloway's". George and his wife  used the ponies to convey coal and  lime to districts far away. The common  name given to them and people like  them was " Lime Gals". It was nothing  out of the ordinary for George and his  wife to make a trip to Clitheroe  carrying coal and returning with lime.  The journey usually undertaken at  night time with a man and boy in  charge. On the death of old George  the business was then carried on by  William Clarkson.    
Joseph Laycock.  At one time almost everyone knew  Joseph Laycock, Brass and Iron  Founder who's place was at  Waterside. Laycock came to Bacup  from Hunslet in Yorkshire about 1830  and after a time commenced the first  foundry in Bacup. Joseph was well  known for making " Bobbers". A game  that lads used to play back in the old  days and whilst Joseph never  apparently played the game himself  he did play with iron rings known as  "Quoits" at which he was at one time  considered the champion of the world.  Joseph was at one time a great  traveller in the South. In 1859 whilst  planning a return trip home from  Australia something occurred which  Delayed Joseph and saved his life.  For had he not been delayed he  would have met a watery grave  aboard the Royal Charter Steam Ship  which was wrecked off the coats of  Anglesey in April 1859. He was a very  prominent member of the order of  Oddfellows, Freemasons and a  Orangeman. He died rather suddenly  at Lower Rockliffe in June 1883 aged  72 years.
Was a well known Bacup figure, born in  Todmorden about 1823 he had several  jobs one of which was selling oatcakes,  and going from door to door selling milk.  His real name was Abraham Dewhurst.  Originally he started work as a weaver  and was by all accounts a good and  conscientious worker. At some point  Abraham became rather inattentive and  lost his job, it is said that his eccentricity  was due to unrequited love. He was  usually seen chewing on the collar of his  coat or on a piece of sacking and.  Abraham however was very thrifty with his money and bought very little food, instead  he would wait until the end of various  parties held at the Mechanics Institute or  school and then go in and make a bid for  the left over crusts of bread, sometime  taking away two wicker baskets full of  food. In his latter days Abraham would  pick up anything out of the streets that he  thought useful such as pins, nails bits of  iron or wood and take them home. He  quite often sported a old sack which he  wore slung across his shoulders, his cap  tilted on one side of his head  and his  trousers tied up under his knees. Tied  around his waist would be his walking  stick which can still be seen today in the  Bacup Nat. Abraham had relatives living  away from Bacup and when Abraham  became ill in 1892 they were eventually  contacted. Two well to do ladies arrived  with fresh line and food for Abraham and  though he eventually agreed for them to  care for him with the lined and food he  refused to leave his home and go with  them to theirs to be looked after. Abraham  died in the Union Workhouse in  Haslingden in October 1892 and was  buried in Todmorden on undressing him at  the workhouse it was found that he had a  old hearth rug wrapped around his waist  and his shoes were stuffed with feathers.
Mr James Hargreaves. Familiarly known as " Old Whitehat"  cotton waste dealer James of  Newchurch Road  died in 1883. In  his younger days he had been the  proprietor of a marine store, building  up the business until he had three  good going concerns, Marine Stores,  Smallwares and Cotton Waste.  Remarkably Mr Hargreaves could  neither read nor write. Yet had a  wonderful memory and was very  adept at mental arithmetic. It is said  he could reckon the money value of  a large transaction to the fraction of a  penny in his head. James had two  sons George and William who also  helped out in the various businesses.  After the death of James  William  took over the Cotton Waste Trade  whilst  George ran the other   wholesale and retail smallware  business and that of the marine  store.
Betty Cockroft and Family   Betty Cockroft ran a shop in  Yorkshire Street right across the  road from the Green Man Hotel  she was also owner of that block of property. The shop had then a very  small front window with a rounded  top as also had the door. Betty was  a neat and tidy looking woman and  was known to be wealthy. One of  her daughters married Mr Richard  smith cotton manufacturer of tong  mill. Some of Betty's neighbours  were  John Pollard, Barber whose  shop was part of the Beer House  known as the White Horse. The  shop being taken over at a later  date by Betty's son " Old James  Cockcroft".  James ran the barbers  business for a few years but  eventually turned to drinking and  loafing about. His children worked  in the mill owned by his sisters  husband which meant he had a  small income from their earnings.  However it was said that whatever  money Cockroft had it all went in  one direction. When he left home  in the morning he would be clean  washed and shaved, wearing a old  black cravat and his clogs shined  to perfection. Towards the end of  his life he was known to stand in  the street and lecture to himself  (if  he could not get passers by to  listen to him) the scriptures,  Shakespeare or poetry. He was  also known to make noises  something between an Indian Wo-  op and a shout, thrown up his arms  and perform a miniature war  dance.  
Johnny Ratter  Was a rat catcher along with  his mongrel dog “Lady". His  real name was John Pilling  and he was  known to bet for a pint. On a ratting expedition,  he’d say to his dog “Lady,  doan’t kill” and take the live rat  from the dog and push it  between his belts and his  breeches. When he had  enough rats, he would go into  the beerhouses and bite off a  rat’s head for a pint of beer.
Happy Jack John Whitehead  a rag and bone dealer of Lane Head Lane, not being able to shout due to a damaged voice box he used a football fans rattle to announce his arrival.In return for rags and bottles, Happy Jack offered a variety of rewards ranging from “spice” and balloons to donkey stones.
Mad Ab
Mickey Luke A tiny harmless old man with a  swilling brush moustache who  always wore a old raincoat two  sizes too big for him come rain or  shine that reached down to his  ankles. He spent his days in the  centre of Bacup mumbling to  himself and twitching his shoulders  ceaselessly and so earning himself  the nickname of Itchy Mick.  No  one ever knew his real name until  he died  when the Bacup Times  identified him as Michael  O'Mahoney. 
James Ashworth James Ashworth was more fondly  known as " Jimmy Din"a hawker of  cockles and mussels, which he  packed in bags on a wheelbarrow.  Later he was successful enough to  buy a horse and cart and was said to  own several shared in cotton millsHe  added a Greengrocers shop in South  Street to his successes. One day  while carrying out his business,  crying out his usual " fresh cockles  fresh muscles", a lady  coming down  Todmorden Road asked him to leave  a measure of the molluscs at her  house.  The lady just happened to be  the wife of  one of the cotton  manufacturers; and either through  qualms of conscience or for some  other reason Jimmy put up his hands  to each side of his mouth, and in  whispered accents sent forth the  muffled sound " they're no good  today"   
John Greenoff John was more commonly known  as "John Duos".He was employed  at the Gasworks as a meter  inspector but lit up the lamps for  the Old Lighting Committee before  the formation of the Rossendale  Union Gas Company. He lived  close to the works in Lee Street  almost from the very first of his  employment. John died in May  1883 aged 62.  
John Pickup  Known as " Old Baromy" father of Lord  Pickup cashier at the Co-Op, was of a  cheery , genial and pleasant countenance.  John was a Weaver at Forest Mill. He was  a keen entomologist and was well known  for the dexterity he wielded with a penknife.  Mr Pickup was a patron of the Walking  Stick Club which had about 30 members.  Each member had to have a walking stick  that was a totally different shape to that of  any other member, with some peculiar and  awkward looking shapes coming out of this.  ( Some of which can still be seen today in  the Bacup Natural History Museum). Some  of the stick had heads carved into he  shapes of wild animals, reptiles and other  beasts carved into he handles or down the  stocks of the walking sticks. John Pickup  died in 1868.  
James Ashworth James Ashworth was more fondly known  as " Jimmy Din"a hawker of cockles and  mussels, which he packed in bags on a  wheelbarrow. Later he was successful  enough to buy a horse and cart and was  said to own several shared in cotton mills.  He added a Greengrocers shop in South  Street to his successes. One day while  carrying out his business, crying out his  usual " fresh cockles fresh muscles", a  lady  coming down Todmorden Road  asked him to leave a measure of the  molluscs at her house.  The lady just  happened to be the wife of  one of the  cotton manufacturers; and either through  qualms of conscience or for some other  reason Jimmy put up his hands to each  side of his mouth, and in whispered  accents sent forth the muffled sound "  they're no good today"  
In Newchurch Road there lived old James  Rothwell, grocer and grandfather to Mr  J.B.Taylor, dentist a very old member of  Irwell Terrace Baptist church. He was a  heavily built man, very calm and collected,  deliberate in all his actions.   Further down the road was Richard  Hargreaves spar and clay pipe maker of  Back King Street, he was grandfather to  Levi Bolton wholesale Potatoe merchant.  Further down still was Mr Anthony Ayrton " Old Ayrton" as he was nearly always  called. In his younger days he had been a  architect and had built the cottage  properties known as Ayrtons Buildings. He  was a scotch man and the terror of all  doffers and youngsters in that  neighbourhood, when he was near them.  On his death his property was left to a  niece who had resided with her uncle and  aunt from childhood. When the niece died  the property was sold.
John Hardman  Or " John O' Dolly's to give him is more  familiar name  who died while on a trip  to Blackpool in September 1876, was a  descendant of a long line of Hardmans,  of North East Lancashire and the South  West Riding of Yorkshire. He was  apprenticed to a shoemaker at  Todmorden, but afterwards returned to  his parents house in St James Street.  Where his parents kept a grocery and  shoe store, and on the death of his  father " Sam O' Rodgers"  and his  mother "Dolly" Hardman, whose real  name was Dorothy, he and his brother  Amos continued for a time the  business. Afterwards he became of the partners in the Old Clough  Mill as well  as being a shareholder in several other  limited concerns, and an owner of  cottage property.He was a keen  politician and often walked in his  younger days to distant towns to listen  to orations by Fergus O'Connor, Frost,  Ernest Jones, and Chartists. He was  fond of company and a good tale. He  left £50 to the Mechanics Institute and  the same sum to Waterside which he  attended.   
James Rothwell
Henry  Kerr  For many years Mr Kerr was editor of the Bacup and Rossendale News, and   during his lifetime in Bacup contributed   many articles on bird life to the Newcastle   Chronicle, The Manchester Guardian, and   other newspapers. Mr Kerr was a native of Dumfries, Scotland. At one time he had a   fine collection of bird eggs, on which subject and bird life generally he was a   acknowledged expert.  Several years before his death the whole of his time was devoted to writing and stud of this kind of   subject.