The local newspapers began advertising
excursions towards the late 1860’s these of
course would have been out of reach at this
time for many of our working class Bacupian
and Stacksteads ancestors. Later with the
expansion of the railway travelling became
cheaper. Whitsuntide was a time of fairs and
excursions many organised by the
various Sunday schools and
organisations one of these being the
Bacup Natural History Society, who
organised weekly rambles. With
visits to places such has Gorpley
Clough, Folly Clough, Clitheroe and
District, Hambeldon and Skipton,
and Wycoller. The Victoria Working
Mens club not only organised trips but they also gave thier members 3/_ to spend at the
Bacup Store on food and drink during the trip. In 1876 the Bacup Liberal Club organised
a trip to London which included visits to the Zoo the Tower, St Pauls, and The British
Sunday schools began organising trips during 1870 these trips tended to be to places like
Blackpool, Morecambe, Widemere. Other favourite place visited by the many Sunday schools and
others seems to be Hardcastle Craggs, Dobroyd Castle, Ribchester, and Whalley Abbey.In financial
terms in 1870 a day trip to Blackpool with children under 12 travelling half price the cost was 2d
and 9d if a group booking booked privately 3s 6d. In 1885 it cost 10/- for a three day stay in London.
Bacup was without a recreation ground for the everyday working class until 1890.
Rosehill Garden was situated at Bankside and here there was the opportunity if you
could afford the 1d or 3d entrance fee to take part in football, dancing, archery and
swings. Unfortunately the fee was out of the reach of many working class Bacupains.
The Maden Recreation ground was presented to the public in 1893 by the late Sir John
Henry Maden, again to fullfill the wishes of his father Henry Maden. This recreation
ground was aimed more at the athletic Bacupain in
addition to the football and cricket areas there were
seperate areas for boys and girls. The girld area
consisted of nine swings a see saw and roundabout.
The boys consisted of six swings and three tapeeze
bars, three pairs of hand rings and one horizontal bar.
In 1914 Stubylee was purchased by the then Corporation out of
money provided in a trust fund by Mr Miles Ashworth of Acre Mill,
a former councillor of the Borough. Paddling Pool at Stubylee
presented to the Borough in 1929 by Councillor Thomas Coates
and Mrs Coates. The adjoining Moorlands Park, which originally contained the mansion house
known as Moorlands, was given to the Borough of Bacup by the trustees of the late Mr Edward
Hoyle in 1914. The two parks are home to the Maden Memorial, Tennis Courts, Playing Fields,
Bowling Greens, The Dell and the Mitchell Fountain.