The area known as Stacksteads stretches from the Thrutch Gorge just East of Waterfoot to a mile before Bacup. The name is thought to mean
the place of the stag or stack. At the time of Queen Victoria's coronation in 1838 Stacksteads was just a village. In 1876 the district of Bacup was
extended to include Stacksteads.
Around the many mills of Bacup and Stacksteads, houses grew like weeds, built in a hurry, on any land available, no need to worry about
sanitation or the view as one of the mill masters said “ houses were not made for living in: the mill was where they lived, houses were only for
sleeping in”. No doubt the houses still there today on Queen Street, Olive Street and Rushton Street provided homes for many of the people
who worked in these early cotton mills. Lee Mill Cooperative store was the no 3 store and was opened in 1867. Like most it had its own
clogging department. . A cobbled lane leading off Acre Mill road once took workers to their place of work in James Ashworth's woollen mill.
Today there are no remains of the houses that once stood down this lane known as Moss Row but the area is still known as Shade End.
Central buildings were built in 1890 by the same man who built many of the areas houses and shops including Brearley Street, and Herbert
Street, James Brearley. Up the lane past Acre Mill Sunday School was a farm known as Huttock End Farm eventually this farm was demolished
to make way for the houses that now make up Hammond Avenue, Osbourne and Hill Crest estates.The first house on Hill Crest being opened in
1948 four years later in April 1952 two of the first bungalows to be built on Hammond Avenue were opened the first of 36 to be erected.Huttock
End Lane was popular with many of the Irish families that had moved into the area to find work in the quarries and on the railway. A newspaper
report of 1869 paints a very bad picture of Stacksteads describing it as "not a very safe or pleasant place to live and that the well disposed
inhabitants of Stacksteads were in fear of their lives”. At this time the population of Stacksteads was made up mainly of what at the time were
called “low Irish families" who were described as far from peace-loving and law-abiding.
A house called Ivy Cottage stood in what is now the War Memorial garden at the bottom of the lane. On the 1848 OS map the name Stackstead
only appears twice, referring to a cotton mill and nearby Stacksteads Knoll.
Booth Road was originally known as the Old Road, on the site of today's Holy Trinity Junior school, was the coal staithe for Stacksteads coal pit,
or better known as th' Hile, Isle, or Hile coal pit which opened about 1834.The coal staithe was at the end of the narrow gauge railway line which
carried tubs of coal from the Hile pit.The end of the line was elevated and the full tubs ran into a sort of box frame which turned them upside-
down, emptying the contents into waiting horse-drawn carts.Booth Grange was originally the vicarage for Tunstead church.Built in 1853 by
Parson Haworth the first vicar of Tunstead church on land that was known at the time as Great Nunkill New Hold. Honeyhole has been in the
Law family since the 16th century. There are two places in Rossendale with the name Honeyhole, one is of course the above mentioned the other
is situated in a part of Tong Lane iBacup.Hill House Barn farm was known locally as Folly Clough named after the Clough that ran from Higher
Tunstead to the Hare and Hounds. Water still runs this way today but now runs through pipes.
Sykes Foundry was situated at the top of Rook Hill and was owned by John Atherton. This foundry was known as Boggart foundry and the clough
as Boggart Hole Clough. It must have seemed to the residents of the area in July 1897 that there really was a Boggart at play, for on Thursday
15th July 1897 at about 2’oclock what was reported as a remarkable phenomenon appeared in the form of a whirlwind. Most of the damage
caused by the whirlwind occurred on the farm of a man by the name of Mr. Pickup his supply of hay being strewn all over the roadway along with
other minor damage. At a time when the Old Road was the main highway Four Lane Ends, was indeed the area where four lanes ended.
Anyone travelling from Rochdale for instance would travel over Rooley Moor Road known during the cotton famine of 1861 as the “famine road”
down Rakehead Lane, up Brandwood Road and then continue up to join the Old Road which formed a crossroad with the lane leading North to
Far Tunstead.Fearn's Hall dates back to 1557 AD, the original mansion on the site may have been the hall of the Ashworths. Colonel George
Ashworth Cobham, Jun commander of 111th Pennsylvania Volunteers, the stepson of George Ashworth Cobham was killed during the assault on
Atlanta, in July 20th, 1864.If you have ever wondered why there is a large hole on the land adjoining the Glen Terrace, wonder no-more. On
Tuesday 25th February 1902 at eleven o’clock at night a boiler which had been made by boiler makers Tinker Shenton & Co of Hyde was being
conveyed by two engines to Sandy Gate Mill, Burnley by way of Rawtenstall and Crawshawbooth. On arriving at the Glen Terrace Inn the driver
and foreman decided to put up for the night and continue their journey in the morning.They drove the boiler onto the footpath with the intention of
putting the boiler onto the waste ground. But the bridge spanning the river could not hold the full weight of the boiler which was 22 tons. The
forepart of the boiler first fell through the hole reaching the riverbed where it stopped whilst the other end pointed at an angle of 45 degrees up
into the air. One of the engines also sank into the ground. The boiler had already been laid up at Britannia for 3 weeks prior to its journey due to
a breakdown of one of the engines. A similar accident on a smaller scale occurred in January 1934, to a heavy motor lorry and trailer laden with
bundles of cardboard which was heading towards Stacksteads. The driver discovered he had been misdirected and intending to turn around he
turned the lorry onto the spare ground in front of the Glenn Terrace one of the rear wheels sank into the earth and the lorry was unable to
For years the origin of how Bacup got its name has been discussed in all sorts of places. One suggestion among many was that Bacup derived
its name from a neighbourhood bay in the form of a cap. But where was the bay? According to a story that appeared in the Bacup Times of 1882
the Thrutch was cut-out about 300 years before the article in order to drain off the water which covered the land, on which the village of
Waterbarn stood. There must have been a bay or pool previously extending over the area of Tunstead Bottoms which extended to the foot of
Bacup. It was stated the article, reasonable to assume that Bacup should have taken her name from the situation described – head of the bay.
When the turnpike road was cut from Stacksteads to Rawtenstall in 1826 scores of skeletons of stags were dug out of the ground above the
Thrutch. The animals had simply drowned in the bay. The Thrutch was described in 1889 as a very dangerous place with frequent rock falls
cascading down the rock face onto the road below. The January 1878 edition of the Bacup Times carried an announcement that the widening of
the railway line from Bacup to Rawtenstall would soon be underway. The contract for carrying out the work had been won by Messrs Dransfield
and Thompson of Liverpool and Leeds. By November 1879 the work of widening the line had almost been completed. Both the tunnels at the
Thrutch and Stubbylee were almost completed and the stonework on most of the bridges was almost completed. John Baxter began building his
brewery at Glen Top between 1850 and 1895. When the son of the family disposed of it as a family concern it owned the majority of the pubs in
Rossendale and the surrounding areas. The buildings on the Cowpe side of the road now the home to a metal structure were closed when
brewing ceased locally in 1967-1968. Those on the other side of the road now a pine furniture shop were closed in the very late 60s. An area
that was known as Lower Tunstead the hill behind being known locally as Farmers Brow was the scene of a tragic and devestating landslide in
which on February 12th 1881 three young children were killed.
Tunstead Woollen works as it was named in 1833 was powered by a water wheel four and half feet in width with a fall of water of 25ft. The
water wheel was fed from a pond that spanned a distance of approximately 400 yards. Eventually Baldwin Street and Mark Street were built over
the pond. The sluice to the pond was between Mark Street and Siding Street. In 1864 Dr Wilson, of Newchurch visited the mill lodge after a
complaint had been received that the lodge was the receptacle of the contents of cottage petties and that there had been a great degree of
Scarletina in the neighbourhood with several cases of death occurring. The houses of Taylor Holme and Taylor Terrace were home to many
Stacksteads quarrymen and their families as well as many weavers who worked in the nearby mill. The houses of Taylor Terrace and Taylor
Holme were back to back and consisted of two rooms downstairs comprising a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms upstairs. Taylor
Terrace made the news in 1976 when it became the setting for the directing debut of Sir Lawrence Olivier and his 60 minute film version of the
play Hindle Wakes. It was also used in the cult classic TV series Juliet Bravo series 3 when the storyline featured the hunt for an arsonist. At this
time the area was ready for demolition and so the setting fire to the once corner shop was supervised by Rawtenstall Fire Brigade.
The houses of Bottoms Row were what were known as cellar houses. The upper level accessed by the landing had one room with a tiny
scullery the stairs to the bedrooms leading off from the living room. The houses or rooms on the lower level the cellar house was just one room,
no bedroom no scullery just one room that would quite often flood in heavy rain.In 1903 Alderman Mr. George Shepherd was heard to say that
many of the houses in Bacup and Stacksteads were not fit to house cattle in never mind people. The worst houses being the single roomed
dwelling houses in which a child would die quite easily before its first birthday.Stacksteads station subway, booking office and platform opened to
the public on Sunday August 15th 1880. The whole area had been decorated with flags and bunting, the sound of fog signals booming out on the
morning air. The station layout caused some confusion to locals who rushed across the level crossing rather than down the subway to gain
access to the new American styled platform.A few Sundays previous to the opening, the line facing the station had to be taken up and re-laid.
The object of this was to enable the men to excavate the subway underneath the line and station to its entrance on a level with the road. The
work was carried out in just under two and half hours by thirty navvies. A rough unpaved pathway to the left of the houses of Random Row led to
what was once Frost Holes quarry. By 1901 a large portion of the quarry had been abandoned and so the corporation approached the executors
of Richard Siddall and leased the land for use as a tip. In September 1933 whilst looking for a piece of oilcloth a mother of two children Mrs
Nellie Barker aged 31 died from shock and toxemia after falling through a hole that had appeared when the tip gave way. The hole which was
approximately 4ft 6ins deep had contained white hot ashes and cinders that witnesses at the time said had been burning for seven years.
Details on the history of the Kimberley Club are sketchy I recently came across a Bacup Times article from the 1920’s detailing a trip to the
seaside for the local children of Blackwood under the title of the Kimberley Ladies Club. It is said the club began as a after hours drinking club for
the local quarry workers in 1897. The thirsty brownback was requested to whistle a tune as he served his own drink down in the cellar to prove
he was filling his tankard rather than his stomach. Payment for the beverage was placed in a honesty box that sat on the mantle piece upstairs
in the main room. By 1888 a workers club had been formed to provide financial help for the many men who worked in the various industries in
Stacksteads, named the Brandwood Labourers Accident Club. The club was described as a “exceptional institution for the quarrymen and
labourers of the district”. The members of the club paid sixpence a month in the event that a member met with a accident he would receive 10s
per week for the first six months and 5s per week for the next six months. Previous to the club if a quarryman had a severe accident a collection
was passed around his workmates to help the man's family. During the year 1887-1888 the club had paid out £93.15s and the club had 396
Two years after the second world war The pilot of a twin engine De Havilland fighter plane died when his plane crashed and burst into flames on
the hillside above Rakehead in December 1947. The plane on hitting the ground firstly struck a wall then exploded quickly burning itself out it left
a crater and a large debris field. Police and firemen searching the field later found the pay book of the pilot; Warrant Officer Ronald Feasby aged
29. Pieces of his RAF uniform and field service cap were also found at the scene along with some human remains. The aircraft was a one seater
from 64 Squadron, R.A.F Station, Linton-on-Ouse , near York and was on instrument flying practice. An altimeter dial face found in the wreckage
showed 1,000 feet. On the day of the accident the weather was described as fearful, the strong winds blowing the drizzling rain into the face of
those on scene. The alarm having been raised about 3-15pm. The plane had been spotted flying low over Waterfoot and Stacksteads. One eye
witness at the time a Mr H Rawlinson of 41 Booth Road, that he had seen the plane roaring above travelling across the valley it was only about
100 feet above the rooftops. It then lifted above the valley when it seemed to dive almost straight down exploding with a tremendous bang. Other
witness said that smoke was coming from the plane .
Commercial Row and just prior to the First World War it was home to businesses such as Josiah Adams watchmaker at number 316. Mr.
Hargreaves confectioner’s shop which once occupied the premises later occupied by Revive Hairdressers. At number 308 was Ingham Taylors
barbers shop pictured right. Across the road was Harry Mitchells cloggers, a fish and chip shop run by Mr Laycock and Betty Taylors drapers
shop with Ebenezer Drane’s tailors shop next door. The Stacksteads Liberal Club was officially opened on Saturday 28th January 1888; the club
had been in existence since 1877 but had had no specific meeting place. Situated in the middle of the row it was replaced by the Manchester
and Yorkshire Bank the Liberal Club moving to 260 Newchurch Road. The rest of the row was made up of three drapers shops a printers and
grocers. Across the road in 1881 were three blocks of buildings. The first was known as Cunliffe Buildings the second block was Greenwoods
Buildings and the third block was Turners Buildings. Today Commercial Street is the home of a new purpose built ambulance station the original
ambulance station being based in what was the Territorial Drill Hall from April 1953. During the Second World War part of the building was used
as a meat cold storage depot. The station housed five ambulances and three utility vehicles.