Bacup Home Front Home 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 Brothers in Arms Wounded Fern Hill Hospital Medals & Awards Empty Chairs Chit Chat Contact  Copyright Bacup & Stacksteads Great War

 Empty Chairs 

The Great War 1914 -1918 Full Story
More often than not the first a family would know of the death of a loved one was the arrival of a telegram from the War Office followed, sometime later by any personal articles recovered and any medals the soldier had been awarded.  Occasionally the families would be notified by a friend of the fallen soldier before the official War Office telegram, and in some instances the families would be notified of a soldier missing in action, presumed dead but have to wait many months sometimes up to a year for official confirmation of the death. After the war the soldier’s next of kin would be sent a memorial plaque, made of bronze they were known as the Dead Man’s Penny because of their likeness to the penny coin. The plaques were issued at no charge to the next of kin in a pack with a commemorative scroll from King though sometimes the letter and scroll were sent first.
The first war memorial or shrine to be erected during the first world war was in 1918 in Weir. The social committee in connection with the Weir Liberal Club thought that something should be done to show appreciation of the lads who had gone from that district to fight for King and Country. Several “feelers” were sent out to various men in the district and the replies were favourable. The social committee then issued invitations to the Sunday Schools- Doals Baptist, Heald Wesleyan and the Catholics, and also to the committee of the club. When the social committee met again there was a unanimous feeling that something should be done to commemorate and perpetuate the services which the lads from that district had given in their behalf. The committee set about the task, and the result was the shrine and roll of honour erected in a recess at the gable end of the branch shop of the Co-operative store at Weir . Described at the time of its unveiling as being of “an arresting appearance, the floral embellishments lending a pretty and appreciative effect. The shrine, which is the work of Mr James W Sutcliffe (joiner) and has been artistically lettered and painted by Mr M L Foulds Junior, bears at the head the words “Weir and District Public Shrine and Roll of Honour they answered their King and Country’s Call.” Then follows the names of those who have joined the forces, enclosed in a glass panel, and allowing for further additions as time goes on, and at the foot the words, “Greater love hath no man than this-that he lay down his life for his friends.” At each side are pedestals for vases, which, it is intended, shall be the receptacles of complimentary gifts of flowers, etc.”  The shrine was unveiled in 1918 by the then Mayor Sir Henry Maden who along with other dignatries of the time began the ceremony by walking in procession from Northern School, the day oddly enough was pouring with torrential rain as would be the case when the Cenotaph in Bacup was unveiled ten years later in 1928. At the time of its unveiling there were 113 men, who had gone from that area which reached from Deerplay to Broadclough to fight for King and Country, and 10 had paid the supreme sacrifice, 13 had been discharged and 1 was reported missing. The full newspaper report and a list of those named on the memorial can be seen by click the following link.

Commonwealth War Graves

During the war thousands of soldiers were being buried by their comrades either in communal or individual graves often in the place where they fell or close to one of the many casualty clearing stations. With such a large number of deaths the military authorities knew they needed to initiate a system to record the deaths and place of burial. *Sir Fabian Ware was neither a soldier nor a politician; Ware was nevertheless well placed to respond to the public's reaction to the enormous losses in the war. At 45 he was too old to fight but he became the commander of a mobile unit of the British Red Cross. Saddened by the sheer number of casualties, he felt driven to find a way to ensure the final resting places of the dead would not be lost forever. His vision chimed with the times. Under his dynamic leadership, his unit began recording and caring for all the graves they could find. By 1915, their work was given official recognition by the War Office and incorporated into the British Army as the Graves Registration Commission. Ware was keen that the spirit of Imperial cooperation evident in the war was reflected in the work of his organisation. Encouraged by the Prince of Wales, he submitted a memorandum to the Imperial War Conference. In May 1917, the Imperial War Graves Commission was established by Royal Charter, with the Prince serving as President and Ware as Vice-Chairman. The Commission's work began in earnest after the Armistice. Once land for cemeteries and memorials had been guaranteed, the enormous task of recording the details of the dead began. By 1918, some 587,000 graves had been identified and a further 559,000 casualties were registered as having no known grave.* It wasn’t always possible to know what had happened to an individual due to the nature of the warfare taking place and the landscape on which it was taking place. Battlefields riddled by waterlogged shell holes in places such as Passchendaele meant certain death by drowning or suffocation in mud if a soldier should slip into one of these. It wasn’t uncommon for soldier’s injuries to be so severe they became unidentifiable. Soldiers involved in digging tunnels in which they would then place mines under enemy locations were often killed and buried by the tunnels collapsing. Many marked graves were often in areas that repeatedly came under shell fire thereby destroying the original markers and whilst the Germans would bury the remains of British soldiers they were often buried in mass graves with the identity tags removed by the Germans who would then send them onto the British Red Cross. Following the war, the battlefields were taped off into grids and each section searched at least six times. The search parties looked for clues to indicate that a body or bodies may be buried there. These could be anything from a rifle protruding from the ground to small pieces of bones or discoloration of the ground. If a body was found it was then exhumed and where possible the body and any personal effects with it were searched and in order to identify the dead soldier. The remains would then be taken to one of the cemeteries. Many of the small wartime burial plots were expanded with the post-war additions. Indeed many bodies were exhumed from small cemeteries and concentrated into larger ones. Those remains that could not be identified were buried as an unknown soldier. The families of those identified were notified of the place of burial of their loved one. The war time Graves Registration Units eventually developed into the Imperial War Graves Commission and then to today's Commonwealth War Graves Commission. It was only natural that families would want to visit the last resting place of their kin. For some this was relatively easy but for many working class families in Bacup and Stacksteads it was just an expense they simply couldn’t afford. In 1919 the Saint Barnabas Society was founded to allow the bereaved to visit the graves of their loved ones. The society organized group trips, which cost less than an individual trip. As a consequence it also enabled poorer families to travel to the continent. In France, from 1921 onwards, free trips were organized annually for the relatives of deceased soldiers. Another organization playing a major role at the time in helping families to visit the graves of their loved ones was the YMCA who erected wooden huts similar to those used by the troops at various locations throughout the war for rest and recuperation. These buildings were known as hostels and had been erected in several of the large towns of the battle areas shortly after the armistice for relatives of deceased soldiers visiting the cemeteries in the districts. The hostels were made up of six cubicles each holding two single beds, a dining room with a constant source of heat being providing by a coal stove, the stove being surrounded by deck chairs were visitors could sit and have a chat, and a smoke room with a piano; the building also contained two bathrooms. On November 18th 1922 an article appeared in the Bacup Times of a visit to the war graves of France in September of two brothers, one of whose son was buried in the military cemetery at Duisans, Etran about 10 kilometres from Arras. The article was titled “Rossendale Soldier’s Grave in France, Diary of a Seven Day Visit”.  On Wednesday 13th September the two brothers hired a car in order to visit the cemetery. The following is an extract of their visit to Duisans Cemetery near Arras. “It is a lovely spot for all the sorrow attached to it, out in the open country not a house to be seen, a small wood is near with the birds singing. The ground has a gentle rise from the entrance. The graves are set out in rows, marked by head crosses made of wood, with the name of the deceased soldier and all particulars stamped on strips of aluminium attached to the top part of this cross. Whilst talking to the gardener himself an ex-soldier, my brother showed a cutting from the Rossendale Free Press, with the photograph of Private Watson of Whitewell Bottom, near Newchurch and which stated that he had been killed and buried at Duisans. We did not know the deceased or anyone known to him, but thought the relatives may like to know about it if we found his grave. The man soon found it by the stamp of his regiment. It is a few rows from where my nephew is buried two Rossendale lads in one cemetery. I don’t know whether there are any others or not”. The gentleman would I am sure have been pleased to learn that a quick search of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site shows there are a further two Rossendale lads buried in Duisans, Private James Pill, 18th battalion Cheshire Regiment from Rochdale Road Britannia, who was killed on the 5th May 1917, and Private Ormerod, 8th Battalion East Lancashire Regiment, Rochdale Road, Bacup who was killed the month before on the 17th April 1917. Even with the help of the various charities and organisations there were of course some battlefield cemeteries that were just too far away to visit and just too inaccessible such as those for casualties killed in the Salonika, Gallipoli, and East Africa campaigns.
Back to Bacuptimes Empty Chairs
Following the end of the war it was common for churches to erect a Roll of Honour dedicated to those church members who had not only paid the ultimate sacrfice but those who had survived. Waterbarn Baptist Church unveiled a marble tablet  in March 1920 honouring the men who gave their lives. Erected by the rear vestry door it  matched on opposite that had been erected to the Rev John Howe. The tablet had been a gift from Mr James Worswick of Colwyn Bay a old  scholar of the Sunday school and contained the following inscription. In reverent and grateful memory of the 27 men connected with this church  and Sunday school, who from amongst 226 who served, made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War, 1914-1919. Ben Nicholls, Fred Ashworth,  Herbert Barrett, John W Cook, Harry Cookson, Harry W Coupe, Harry Foulds, John R Fielden, Robert Hitchen, Fred Hargreaves, Jesse Lord,  Harold Law, Cecil Kershaw, Sydney Wilfred Trickett,  John E Walsh, Robert Fred Smith, John R Hitchen, Henry B Parkinson, Scarlet Brown,  William H Walsh. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.  Zion Baptist Church also unveiled a Marble tablet in 1920  erected in the porch of the church, the tablet bore the inscription. This tablet was  erected to the imperishable memory of the 15 men who made the supreme sacrifice out of the 130 who served in the Great War, 1914- 1919.  Then followed the names. Thomas Mitchell, Frank Piper, Richard Laycock, Chas Wright, George H Ashworth, Bert Barnes, Harry Shepherd,  Arthur W Townsend, Peter Duerden, John E Butterworth, Charles Cockroft, Harry Crapper, William Heap, Henry Maden, David Hargreaves.  At the bottom was inscribed Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. The Bacup Cooperative Store presented umbrellas to the relatives of their employees killed in the Great War. Named as. R. S Fletcher, H  Gregory, D Hammer, J Pickup, F Porter, I Stott. Stacksteads Primitive Methodist Church erected a Marble slab on the left hand side of the entrance hall to the church. Inscribed In loving  memory of the following scholars of this Sunday school who lost their lives during the Great War 1914-1919. Ernest Hall, George E Nicholas,  Samuel Woodhead, Frank Kitchen, Samuel Bullas, Herbert Cubbin, Richard H Bellam, Hardman Savoury, James A Holmes, William Rogers,  Vincent Farrow. To the Memory ever  dear.     Thorn Chapel unveiled its memorial in December 1920,  remembering 12 church members killed during the Great War. these were, Harry Ashworth, Harold Bacon, Enoch Butterworth, William Crane,  Fred Harrison, Thomas Howorth, Bertie Hutchinson, Harry Snowden, Adolphus Stanger, Fred Thomas, Herbert Thomas, Fred Walmsley.  St Johns church  unveiled it's memorial  in February 1924 the memorial was designed and erected by Mr Will Heyworth of Hargreaves &  Company, Stacksteads. Erected in the church yard overlooking Burnley Road. A Maltese cross outline with inverted ring standing 14ft high and  remembering 29 church members. George Crabtree, John Prince, Fred Riding, Hugh  Holland, Seth Jackson, Edgar Fearnley, Charles Russel, Bert Tattersall, Harry Ashworth,  Ralph Fletcher, Alec Pounder, James Tatersalll, George Hardaker, William Hardaker, John  W  Webster, Joseph Wm Robinson, Arthur Jones, Arthur Openshaw, John Lord Jackson, John  Godfrey Litton, Samuel Stewart, William Shanks, Rae Pickup, Frank Piper, Wilfired Smith,  Lawrence Robinson, William H Buckley, Albert Ashworth.  Christ Church Displayed a Roll Of Honour made by Mr Ian  Mawdsley and framed in rich  oak. The Roll Of Honour displayed  the names of about 100 men who had severed with  H.M.Forces during the war included in these was the names of those who had made the  supreme sacrifice. Capt. E. M. Wright, 2nd Lieutenant Jesse H Temperley, A.P Frank  Horrocks, R.N.R. Ptes, Fred Akred, John Bentley, Harry Calverley, Tom Charnley, Sam  Edwards, Christopher Fuller. A. N. Heyworth, Fred Horrocks, John E Lovick, J.W.Starkie.  Whilst Ebenezer Baptist Church and Newgate mission erected and unveiled a Marble  tablet to their fallen churchmen in October  1920. Situated in the vestibule of the church it  contained the names of 17 men.  Inscribed at the top Ebenezer Ex Sailors and Soldiers, to  perpetuate the memory of their fallen comrades in the Great War, and at the bottom They died that we might live, the more abundantly, 1914- 1919. J. J. Hargreaves, A Thornhill, F. W. Mitchell, J. S. A .Hoyle, W Naylor, G Greenwood, J. A Law, H H Heyworth, John Crane, J. H. Crane, D  Abbott J. G .Heyworth, J Firth, W Collinge, J Taylor, S Nicholls, F Whitworth. Ten years after the Armistice Bacup's War Memorial, erected to perpetuate the memory of her gallant sons who fell in the Great War, was  unveiled as stated above the whole proceedings carried out under a  the ceaseless, drenching rain. The ceremony began with a procession of  ex-serviceman proudly displaying thier medals marching down Market Street. At the head was ex-Lieut  J Cook in charge of the British Legion,  Surgeon F W Rigby and Mr Edwin Bayliss the prospective Liberal candidate for Rossendale, and they were followed by others who in days of  warfare attained conspicuous rank. Sergeant McGuiness was in command of members of the United Service Club. The most touching part of  the whole ceremony was said to be the presence of children of men killed, etc in the war and wearing their fathers medals. Shivering in the rain  and trying to keep back the tears which silently  flowed, and grasping lovingly the posies "In  memory of Daddy" . The following is a list of  those children Emily Cursson, Annie  Jennings, Nellie Jennings, Mary Sturt, Florrie  Duerden, Ronald Duerden, Clifford Barrett,  John Flynn, Arthur McMullan, Herbert Crisp,  Leslie Clegg, John T Foulds, Cyril  Hargreaves, John A Clegg, John A Holt,  James Mitchell, Willie Bell, Richard Roberts,  John H Roberts, Joseph Earnshaw, Willie  Clawson. After processing from Stubylee to  the Cenotaph on Burnley Road the memorial  was unveiled by Mr Wilfred Birch who had  been blinded in the Great War.  A full report of the newspaper article can be read by clicking. September 14th 1935 saw the unveiling of the Weir War memorial. Despite unsettled weather there was a large gathering to witness the  ceremony being performed by ex-police constable Richard Coates the first man to join up from Weir for services in the Great War. The  occasion brought back dark memories of the war 1914-1918. The service was attended by the Mayor and Mayoress of Bacup Councillor  W  Marshall and Mrs Marshall  along with many relatives and friends of the fallen. The memorial  replaced a shrine that was formerly housed in  the wall of the Weir branch Cooperative  store. The memorial is a cross of  scotch granite standing ten feet high with a  two tier base of stone, encircled by a pavement of crazy paving which is approached by steps from a outer pathway the whole thing being  enclosed by a local stone wall. On the horizontal piece of the cross is nscribed " Pro Patria" And below is the inscription " Erected to the  memory of the men of Weir  and district who fell in the Great War 1914-1918, Lest We Forget. The monument occupies a commanding  position on the Burnley  Road slop of the hill, the  site chosen being immediately below the mound used for the bonfire on the occasion of the  Kings Silver Jubilee celebrations last May. A plate bearing the names of those who served in the Great War from the Weir district removed  from the shrine and a photograph of the original war memorial  committee  enclosed in a steel box have been placed beneath the cross. It  is  believed that a total of 139 men from Weir oined up. Mr Coates being the first and Mr Barclay Condray being the second Before performing  the unveiling ceremony Mr Coates remarked that he felt very honoured to be performing the ceremony. He was honoured to think he had  been shoulder to shoulder with the men whose  names were inscribed on the plate beneath that monument. There was one more thing he  would like to point out and that was regarding himself being the first man to join up in the village. He did not want to take credit whatever for  that. As most of them knew, he was a police constable at the outbreak of war. Before joining the force he had served for three years  n the  Coldstream Guards and he was on reserve when the war broke out and therefore ike thousands of others at the outbreak of the war he had  to go. A member of Stacksteads Prize Band Mr E Whittaker sounded the revile. The Weir war committee had been in existence for  approximately 19 years Mr Alfred Thompson was Chairman of he Committee, other members were F.E.Larton of Blackpool, J.A.Hargreaves,  Ormerod Haigh, E Hargreaves, G.E.Buckley, J.H.Nuttall., J.A.Barret, H Loney, J.E.Grime Secretary. Mr I E Kilpatrick was the monumental  Mason the land being paid for by the Irwell Springs Company. In January 1931 the Bacup Borough Council erected Memorial Boards  in the council offices at Stubbylee, containing the names of all the men who gave their lives in the Great War , with additions made in 1946-47 for those men killed in the Second World War. The board was moved to the Aged Blind and Disabled Centre some years later where it remains. On the 8th May 1919, an Australian journalist, Edward George Honey, had proposed a respectful silence to remember those who had given their lives in the First World War his letter which was published in the London Evening News was brought to the attention of King George V who on 7 November 1919, issued a proclamation which called for a two minute silence and which stated:  “All locomotion should cease, so that, in perfect stillness, the thoughts of everyone may be concentrated on reverent remembrance of the glorious dead." In Bacup, Mr Campbell the Chief Constable sounded the fire alarm at the requested time and instantly active operations were suspended. All vehicles were stopped and pedestrians too paid a silent tribute.  The various local churches held their own memorial services in which the names of the dead were read out.  Flags were raised to half-mast in memory of the fallen before being hoisted to full mast on many of the mills and factories and all the schools held special assemblies. In September the Town Council received a letter from Major C. R. Collins Commanding officer of the East Lancashire Regiment, Fulwood Barracks, Preston, in which he stated that under his charge he had 5 Union Colours which had been presented to the service battalions recruited in the 30th Regimental District during the Great War, similar colours were being distributed throughout Great Britain amongst the various towns in recruiting areas of regiments concerned. Bacup was offered the colours of the 13th Battalion East Lancashire Regiment, with a request that they be displayed in a suitable place be that a public hall or Parish Church the presentation being planned for the 2nd  October. The offer was accepted by the Town Council with a recommendation that they would hang in the Town Hall Stubbylee. Today the colours are housed at the Bacup Natural History Society albeit in need of renovation.
Thorn Memorial. St John's Memorial. Victoria Working Mens Club Memorial. Bacup cenotaph. South Street Congregational Church Memorial. North Street Primitive Methodist Memorial. Full Story