Trams Buses & Carts Home Early Days Transport & Work Services Wartime Entertainment Memories & People Weather Links
  In 1906 a list of ancient highways  was published these inlcuded. Bankside - Huttock End Lane, Old Burnley Rd, Lane Head Lane - Old Tod Rd, Tong Lane, Brandwood Rd - Rooley Moor, Lesser Part of Rooley Moor. Just before the end of 1881 the turnpike roads were freed from all Toll fares, the Bacup Toll house at the bottom of Todmorden Road was kept by Mr John Calvert who was also cashier and collector for the whole district. A member of the Society Of Friends he would walk every Sunday to Crawshawbooth in order to attend the services at the Friends Meeting house. At Sharneyford  " Old Malley" collected the tolls and, was also popular with travellers to whom she would sell for a small charge her home made Gingerbread. At the Broadclough toll bar was " Old Billy Colbert" father of Mr Thomas Colbert choir conductor and grandfather of Mr Lever Colbert flock dresser of Waterfoot. William or Billy was a good natured man who took up his spare time by making hand made shoes.  Rockliffe toll bar was kept by John Pilling " Old Jobber Pilling " who at times was a kind of fisherman, using lime to blind the fish. His second son John county court under bailiff was better known for running with the hounds. Robert Ashworth or " Road Bob" was the keeper of the Height Barn toll bar at Newline, but later had charge of the Underbank toll bar at Broadclough. All roads into Bacup had been freed of tolls by November 1881 and the toll houses had been put up for sale.
 Transportation from Todmorden to Haslingden was made a little easier with the opening of the Todmorden to Haslingden Turnpike Trust road which was built in 1789. In 1794 the Turnpike through Blackburn was made to Bury encompassing Haslingden, Booth and Cowpe, Newhall hey and Tottington Higher end  road. The following year the road from Burnley to Edenfield  and Rochdale via Crawshawbooth was made. Thirty years then passed before the lower road between Rawtenstall and Waterfoot was constructed and the following year 1826 the road from Stacksteads through to Waterfoot was constructed. The Thrutch was described in 1889 as a very dangerous place with frequent rock falls cascading down the rock face onto the road below. In 1834 New Line was formed and a Toll house was erected at Height Barn. The road from Bacup to Rochdale was built by a Mr John Lord a large property owner. It is said that the process of constructing the road was made more difficult by the depth of peat in the area. Mr Lord overcame this problem by cutting down trees and laying them on the bottom and cross ways . The first stagecoach to serve the Bacup areas was run by a Mr James Howorth of Tunstead, it was capable of carrying six persons inside and ten or twelve outside and was drawn by three or four  powerful horses.  In 1864  new horse bus service began from Bacup to Rochdale leaving from Bacup station every Monday , the journey took 1 hour and the charges were 1/6 to sit inside  1/d to sit outside. In 1869 the Whitworth Vale Coach Co, ran from outside the Green Man on Yorkshire Street, leaving at 9.30, 14,00 and 18.45 daily. In May 1906 a motor bus  traversed Rochdale Rd, Bacup and St James Street this was to be the rout served by the Whitworth Vale Motor Bus Company.  In August of the same year the new bus of the Rossendale Division Carriage Company arrived, it later made several runs to Burnley.
Stacksteads Toll Bar Toll Bar At Deerplay Bar. Steam Roller moving through Bacup.
The Bacup Tramway between Bacup and Rawtenstall was constructed and opened in 1889, and at first, steam motive power was used.  On the 20th July 1889 there was great excitement in Bacup as this was the day when the tramway would be officially inspected and would be ready for service to the public. A large crowd  gathered at the Bulls Head comer awaiting the arrival of the tram from Rawtenstall. The tram was comprised  of two units the tram itself which accommodated the passengers was pulled by a steam engine which was linked to the front of the tram. Everything went to plan on the day until the time came to turn up Burnley Road, when the steam engine came of the rails This happened two or three times, when after the engine had been manhandled back onto the rails, it was decided that the terminus would in future be in front of the  Market Hotel. The line was officially opened 3 August 1889. The steam car was not the favourite of everyone especially for those who lived at the side of the road as many did back then. They complained that the tramcar was an absolute nuisance making a horrid smell and smoking. The shopkeepers of Market Street complained about a loss in trade as now people did not walk down the street to the station but caught the tram. By 1901  trams where running between Bacup, Waterfoot and Rawtenstall every 20 minutes and on Saturdays and Sundays every 15 minutes. The line was electrified in 1909, on its purchase by the Bacup Corporation from the Rossendale Valley Tramways Co, and leased by that Corporation to the Rawtenstall Corporation. Rawtenstall Corporation by arrangement with Bacup Corporation ran a tram service from 1909 to 1932 when the service changed to double decker omnibuses Market Street Tram.The Education Minute Book for 17th April 1905 contains a entry noting that the Town Clerk write to the Manager of the Rossendale Valley Tramways Company to ask him to give instructions for the cars of the company to slow down when passing the bottom of the street leading up to Western School. The Tram Route from Bacup to Rochdale was improved in 1911 by the construction of the Bacup Light Railway.
.
The Sutcliffe family in thier Landaue. Last steam tram passing the wall of Fernhiill House. Interior of a Bacup tram.