Transportation from Todmorden to Haslingden was made a little easier with the opening of the Todmorden to Haslingden Turnpike Trust road which was built in 1789. In 1794 the Turnpike through Blackburn was made to Bury encompassing Haslingden, Booth and Cowpe, Newhall hey and Tottington Higher end road. The following year the road from Burnley to Edenfield and Rochdale via Crawshawbooth was made. Thirty years then passed before the lower road between Rawtenstall and Waterfoot was constructed and the following year 1826 the road from Stacksteads through to Waterfoot was constructed. The Thrutch was described in 1889 as a very dangerous place with frequent rock falls cascading down the rock face onto the road below. In 1834 New Line was formed and a Tollhouse was erected at Height Barn. The road from Bacup to Rochdale was built by a Mr John Lord a large property owner. It is said that the process of constructing the road was made more difficult by the depth of peat in the area. Mr Lord overcame this problem by cutting down trees and laying them along the bottom and crossways. In 1906 a list of ancient highways  was published these inlcuded. Bankside - Huttock End Lane, Old Burnley Rd, Lane Head Lane - Old Tod Rd, Tong Lane, Brandwood Rd - Rooley Moor, Lesser Part of Rooley Moor. Just before the end of 1881, the turnpike roads were freed from all Toll fares, the Bacup Tollhouse at the bottom of Todmorden Road was kept by Mr John Calvert who was also cashier and collector for the whole district. A member of the Society Of Friends he would walk every Sunday to Crawshawbooth in order to attend the services at the Friends Meetinghouse. At Sharneyford  " Old Malley" collected the tolls and, was also popular with travellers to whom she would sell for a small charge her homemade Gingerbread. At the Broadclough toll bar was " Old Billy Colbert" father of Mr Thomas Colbert choir conductor and grandfather of Mr Lever Colbert flock dresser of Waterfoot. William or Billy was a good-natured man who took up his spare time by making hand made shoes.  Rockliffe toll bar was kept by John Pilling " Old Jobber Pilling " who at times was a kind of fisherman, using lime to blind the fish. His second son John county court under bailiff was better known for running with the hounds. Robert Ashworth or " Road Bob" was the keeper of the Height Barn toll bar at Newline, but later had charge of the Underbank toll bar at Broadclough. All roads into Bacup had been freed of tolls by November 1881 and the toll houses had been put up for sale.  
Transport Home The Giddy Meadow Health & Hygiene Trades & Professions Transport Wartime Leisure Time Stacksteads Links
© bacuptimes.co.uk 2004
Bacup Railway Trams Buses & Carts Other Transport Railway Accidents Railway Memories A Railway Story Transport Deerplay Toll House Step Row Road sign and Bacup Boundary marker on Todmorden Road