Water Gas & Electric Home The Giddy Meadow Health & Hygiene Trades & Professions Transport Wartime Leisure Time Stacksteads Links Cloughbottom Reservoir
In 1836 the Bacup Gas Light and Coke Co was founded with a capital of £3000.00 they built offices, workshops  and two gasometers which were used to supply street lighting mills and homes. The Rossendale Union Gas Company  was formed in 1854 by an act of Parliament dated June 1854 and at this time works and plant were merged. A large gas works was built at cloughfold 1856, with Bacup keeping its own depot. In 1896 plans were passed by the town council for the erection of a new Gas office in Lee Street. During the excavations of the old foundations several large tanks were discovered and were thought to have been used at Tar tanks.Further excavations however found no outlet and it was never discovered what the tanks were used for. In 1864 a announcement in the Bacup Times reported that gas lighting would be extended to cover the areas  of Sheep House Clough Rochdale Rd.on the Newchurch Rd they would extend to Acre Mill and to the limits of the boundary at Stacksteads. As far as the boundary road at Higher Broadclough and as far as the Bull & Dog in Todmorden Rd. In 1895 the  company introduced the penny in the slot  gas meter. The offices in Lee Street were sold in 1957 later to become Horace’s nightclub.  
Although the reservoirs at Cloughbottom and Clowbridge l didn't supply Bacup with water they did provide many Bacup and Stacksteads men with work during construction.
Cloughbottom Reservoir
The introduction of electricity in Bacup must have been a dramatic event. It is impossible to imagine what the people of Bacup thought when they first saw their first light. In 1878 the local board were contemplating engaging a gentleman skilled in the inns and outs of the electric light to make some experiments. In 1884 Messrs Wm Sutcliffe's and Sons of the Corn Mill, Yorkshire street were the first to replace gas with the electric light. They had sixty 20-candle power swan incandescent lamps. In 1887 the Rockliffe Vale Corn mill installed a 150 light dynamo which was driven from the mill shafting. Each light was 20 candle power. All the rooms in the mill were connected and could be used altogether or separately. The cost of lighting the whole place was less than 1d per hour. The first shop in Rossendale to be lit by electricity was the premises of Messrs Holden and Co Tea & Coffee Merchants in Union Street, Bacup in 1894.The light was generated by a dynamo driven by a seven horse gas engine. Bacup's first telephone was installed at Richard Hargreaves, Acre Mill Stacksteads, and in 1886 Irwel Springs Dye works  were connected to the Lancashire and Cheshire telephone company. The lines having been brought across the moors from Holmes Chapel to Deerplay then across the  road to he mill. In 1886 the telephone company began erecting telegraph poles in Newchurch Road from India Mill to the Thrutch. By 1890 the National telegraph company had opened their office in Market Street, Bacup. The National Telegraph company had been formed 18 months previous by a amalgamation of the Lancashire & Cheshire co and the United telephone Company.
In 1849  Bacup was very prone to flooding, by the River Irwell which began its descent from  above the hills at Deerplay and then met the Greaves Brook in the centre of town by the  Mechanics Institute. Many of the mills and dwelling houses situated along its banks the  population at the time of the Public Health Report in 1842 being about 10,000. The river  became respectable for all kinds of rubbish and the many ashes from various mils and  houses piled at times over eight feet high in the river. This soon led to the raising of the river  bed which caused it to overflow at times of heavy rains. In 1832 a map was prepared to  show the course of the River Irwell the map showed the waterfalls, and the mills and other  works situated on the river. It is hardly surprising the river was polluted as in the above poem  when you take a look at the mills that followed the course of the river.   From its start in Deerplay: Irwell Springs Printworks. Dog Pits  Cotton Mill. Higher  Broadclough Woollen Mill. Lower Broadclough Woollen Mill. Meadows Mill. Holmes Mill.  Waterside Fulling Mill. Rawcliffe Mill. New Mill. Stubylee Mill, Nunhills Mill.Tunstead  Mill.Waterboard Mill.   Until the bridge over the river at Henrietta Street was built 1870 by George Maxwell, a cotton  manufacturer who was operating at Mashwood the area now known as Henrietta Street and home to the council yard. Access was by a simple  wooden plank and by stepping stones when the river was running low. The bridge was reconstructed in 1925. With no drainage system such as we have today, it goes without saying that there must have been a terrible stench permeating the town during  warm summers. The main drain was about 4 feet deep from the surface of the ground to the bottom and formed with a flat stone bottom and top  and dry rubble sides, 3feet by 2 feet 6inches.  The roads were in a dilapidated state with no one being in charge to inspect them and keep them  in good repair. Many of the pavements were unflagged and covered in all types of dirt and filth. Three years following the first census returns of  1841 Bacup’s water supply was dreadful with no reservoir the supplies of water came from various wells situated around the town. One well which was situated Down t Yard which we believe is where today's Market now stands was said to be water off a quality that resembled sewerage.  At one time when the gardens of today Trinity Baptist chapel were part of the Plantation that stood there, there was a well there  known as Bank House well. The quality was said to be very good but the supply was small. Peggys Spout was a well situated at the top of Lane  Head, and when this dried up it meant a long walk to Broadeclough to get water from what was called Mr Whittakers Cawl, where the water still  comes through the wall today. Esthers spout  was situated on Yorkshire Street, and this was said to the be the best well in the town. In the year 1853 the demand  for a clean water supply, resulted in the formation of the Rossendale Water  Works Company, which obtained an  act of parliament for this purpose.  Amongst the first directors of the company were  Dr William Stewart, James Ashworth, Richard Smith, John  Maden and Joshua Hoyle, all cotton manufaturers of the area. The company constructed the Sheephouse Reservoir, as well as the  compensation reservoir on Newline. Whilst the reservoir at Sheephouse gave water to many of the homes in Bacup it was unsuitable for those  built at higher altitudes such as those in Sharneyford. In 1898 the corporation of Bacup gained statutory powers to construct high and low level   reservoirs at Cowpe which were opened in 1910.  In 1864 work began on the laying of  the first sewers from the Mechanics Institute to Lee Mill the work was carried out by a company named  Thomas Saville of Derby and encompassed the areas of Henrietta Street, St James Street, Irwell Street.The syatem was quite basic with outfall  tanks near to the Cemetery Hotel in Stacksteads.In 1894 the Bacup Corporation joined the  Haslingden and Rawtenstall Joint Sewerage Board who had built the sewerage works at Ewood  Bridge.  
Sketch of River Irwell Building of Cowpe Reservoir